So after months off and on of struggling with this nonsense was going to just fork fbs and make it work with python 3.8 and latest pyinstaller. So tested a new minimal project with fbs python 3.8 and pyinstaller 4.0 and worked in linux so went to try it in Macos it was a big NOPE.jpg.
Couldn’t get pyinstaller 4.0 to work with python 3.8 in macosx cause of some weird setuptools oddities which was a long waste of time.
Ended up uninstalling homebrew pyqt and then grabbing the official installer from : Python Releases for Mac OS X | Python.org
Download macOS 64-bit installer: python-3.6.8-macosx10.6.pkg
Then installed the base requirements.
Then i did a force install of the newer pyinstaller==4.0
pip install pyinstaller==4.0 pyinstaller-hooks-contrib==2020.9
This apparently has all the fixes which aren’t in the pinned requirements for pyinstaller==3.4 which FBS wants. Also tried pyinstaller==3.6 and it did not work either.
Winning combination seems to be
macOS 64-bit installer: python-3.6.8-macosx10.6.pkg
With the below and FBS latest.
I had previously tried the python 3.6.5 and it hadn’t worked either.
I did not have to do much to fix the app besides copy some of my app resources from resources folder to the Macos folder after freezing.
Hopefully this helps others out with the QTWebengine and other missing dylib issues when packaging on mac with fbs.
So pleased now as it just works.